Acroread not working

Has anyone else had trouble with acroread?  I've installed the Debian
package on one potato i386 computer that works just fine.  But on another,
the pdf files are all garbled, even though xpdf can read them just fine.

Also, on this same machine, I get the license agreement every time I run
acroread, and there is no "ok" button to accept the agreement.  The
window has to be closed using the x-window menu for acroread to continue.

I did originally install acrobat reader in /usr/local, but removed that
installation due to the same puzzling behavior.  Any ideas about what
could be going wrong?

Thanks.