console mutt emacs problem

I have a problem using emacs inside of mutt.  This has just occured recently.
If I try to write an email in mutt the editor is emacs.  When I try is now it
locks up the console.  I have to use 'kill' to free it up again.  I can,
however, open mutt up through a window in X and get emacs to work as I am doing now.  Any idea how to fix this?

Lance
--

                                Lance Hoffmeyer
                                 lanceh@ibm.net

             A religion that requires persecution to sustain it is
                           of the devil's propagation
                                  HOSEA BALLOU