Re: Apps Crashing a Lot

Hello out there,

Pollywog wrote:

> On 30-Aug-2000 CHEONG, Shu Yang [Patrick] wrote:
> > Have you guys tried ctrl+alt+backspace to get back to the console instead of
> > (i) rebooting the box and (ii) telnetting from another machine to issue a
> > init 1!!! If that doesn't work, try ctrl+alt+FX (where X is the number
> > representing the console 1 to 6). You also might want to determine the
> > reason(s) for the "crashes"...it may be caused by a rogue app or
> > something...such feedback to the developers is important as bugs can then
> > get fixed promptly and everyone can go about their daily lives again!
> >

> All those things will often fail,

That sure is right, once the Xserver froze my keyboard, so no way to hit
any key-combinations anymore.

> and an agressive reboot is required.

That in most cases is not right (unless you're not on a network, and
therefore can't login remotely). Usually the system is still running (as
Debian really is rock stable), you just can't get to it via the local
keyboard and screen any more.
In my cases, it always helped to login from another machine and kill the
Xserver (man kill). One might have to determine the PID first (man ps).

Regards,
Daniel