noise from monitor, HELP!

I've been running Debian for years and my monitor (20" IBM P200) has
been working fine with it's current setting for months. Now all of a
sudden I get a VERY high pitched noise from it when in X. It does not do
this on the console! It has become more and more frequent and is
starting to drive me nuts (well more then usual :) I know it's the
monitor because I can turn it off while it's doing it and the noise
stops. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

FYI I am running potato using a Matrox Mill. (original) with 8MB memory
@ 1024 x 768.

TIA,

Ron
--