Re: FTP server and security

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 10:41:58AM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:

> Well thats everybody for your help. I have decided just to run Apache.
> Looks like for the discussion that ftp is a bad idea.

It's a question of cost/benefit. Ftp can be great on a LAN that's protected.
Very handy. It's just that anon ftp access from the 'Net is the most risky
way to go. It depends on what you *really need* to provide, service-wise,
and how to deliver that in the most secure fashion.

You have alternatives: teach your users to use scp, or set up an ftp
download area just for authenticated users, etc, etc.

--
Bob Bernstein
at                          http://www.ruptured-duck.com