From: Dan Brosemer [mailto:odin@linuxfreak.com]
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2000 12:42 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: tphan@iqrinc.com
Subject: Re: telnet replacement

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 04:51:58PM +0200, Christopher Splinter wrote:
> * Timothy C Phan <tphan@iqrinc.com> writes:
>
> >   Recently, I have learned that telnet is not a good idea and
> >   have seen so many suggestion on ssh and wondering how would I
> >   do this from windows/NT?  I did not seen windows/NT provide
> >   the ssh.
>
> You could use PuTTY or TeraTerm Pro (haven't got an URL, but I'm
> sure that you can find it at <http://www.tucows.com/> or any
> other search engine of your choice).

If you're adverturous, Corinna Vinschen has released a patch for Portable
OpenSSH 2.1.0p3 to Cygwin.

Cygwin is a GPLed POSIX layer for Windows OSes.  You can download a copy at
ftp://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/pub/cygwin/latest/cygwin/

Portable OpenSSH is available from http://www.openssh.com/portable.html

The patch can be found in the mailing list archives at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=96034077716974&q=p3

Be sure and read her message and changelog (aux.c was renamed to aux_funcs.c
because NT does silly things with files named aux.anything -- that couldn't
be included in the patch).  The message is also in the archives:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=96034077716974&w=2

I haven't tried this, I don't have an NT machine to test it on, but
apparently, it will allow you to even run the ssh server on your NT machine.

If you decide to try this, let me know if you have any success (better yet,
let the list know:  openssh-unix-dev@mindrot.org success or failure)

-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human