Re: A BIOS that wants to know the OS I'm using?

On Fri, 09 Jun 2000, I. Tura wrote:
> 	My fancy new computer has a extra-cool-nice Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Rev 6, and
> when you enter into it you have a quite interesting dialogue that says:
>
> 	OS: W98/2000
> 	    W95
> 	    Other
> 	Is there any explanation about the sense of this cool feature, or
> potential trouble for the near future Debian installation that I have to
> make there?

Probably the same "Plug and Play Aware OS" crap some BIOSes ask, instead of
what it should read ("Init Plug and Play devices?"). Any OS worth its salt I
know of (hint: not Windows) requires this to be YES (i.e.: "plug and play
aware OS = NO"), after all initing plug and play devices is supposed to be a
BIOS task... especially if you need the plug and play devices correctly
initialized to coldboot the machine. Other OSes (hint: Windows) want it set
to NO.

  Henrique Holschuh