Re: Fetchmail

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 09:33:49PM -0400, Robert Mognet wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 01:44:20AM -0400, Dan Brosemer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 08:49:54PM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:
> > > Hello Dan,
> > > I was wondering if I moght ask you a question. I got my linux box to mail
> > > out but I still cant get it to receive mail. Its giving me connection failed
> > > for the smtp. I tried telnet localhost 25 but I get the same thing
> > > connection refused. And idea's
>
> Do you have the telnet daemon enabled in /etc/inetd.conf ?
> Look for a line something like :
>
> telnet	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	/usr/sbin/in.telnetd
>
> If the "telnet" entry is commented out ("#") then it's disabled.
> Just remove the '#'.

I think his question is about why his SMTP service isn't responding to
connect requests, and myself and others on the list have suggested he use
telnet to check whether or not it's there.  AFAIK, telnet uses port 23, not
25.

-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human