about X Windows Programming

Does the X Windows have a parent window-child windows concept?
What I mean is like in windows..
In a program,there can be a parent windows having a title bar...
and within the windows there can be several windows ,having a title bar
too .An Example is just like PhotoShop...when you open several file,
you can see sever windows which contain each file..
But seem that the X don't have that kind of concept.We need to create
several windows which is floating around desktop...Instead of having
a window inside another window...Am I wrong?Is it impossible to write
that kind of program?

PS.please cc me coz I havn't subsribe to the list