RE: E: Internal Error. Cannot configure a pre-depend?

I failed to identify which of the many packages I had downloaded caused the
problem and choked apt-get (-s). How do you do this?
Generally speaking, would it be difficult to enhance this rather cryptic
error message a bit? From the number of posts, this problem does seem to
occur every so often.

Eventually, in my case it helped to upgrade the apt package (from
apt_0.3.10slink11 to apt_0.3.18, while I was trying to hack the error
message - thus I never knew if that was successfull ;-). However, that was
more than a month ago and may be outdated now.

Andreas