Re: Q: Potato install tool to config X is?

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 08:09:41PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > Hint: use /dev/gpmdata as your Pointer for X.
> >
> > Why?  I've got gpm running to use the mouse on the console, and in
> > my XF86Config the pointer section uses /dev/mouse, which is linked
> > to /dev/psaux.  And everything works just fine.  Worked just fine
> > when I was running slink, worked just fine when I was running potato,
> > and still works just fine running woody.
> >
> because MY system tends to hang upon every third console switch with this
> configuration. YMMV.

It depends on your hardware. I've had varying degrees of success with
different mice. Currently I'm using XFree4 and that 7 button optical
USB mouse that MS makes. I like it. It doesnt get gummed up, and was
easy to setup. I had a mouse that whenever I setup as an IMPS2 pointer,
refused to work if gpm was running. Its just good to know alternatives
if you have issues with gpm/X. There's usually a work around.

If you dont care, thats valid too. I was just pointing out an option.

--
Mental

"When in doubt, use brute force."
  --Ken Thompson (author of unix)