RE: Compiling New Kernel

> package     dselect version     recommended version
> ==========  ==================  ====================
> Procps      1.2.9-3             2.0.3
> Util-linux  2.9g-6              2.9z
>
> I have updated my dselect packages list, and it appears that no newer
> versions are available. Do I need to change my access URL's for dselect? If
> so, which are recommended?
>
> Also, the Documentation/Changes document requires procinfo version 16. As
> far as I can tell, I do not even have procinfo on my system. It is also not
> listed (as far as I can see) in dselect. Is this package important?

procps has what you need.  To get the versions 2.2.15 wants, you need to
upgrade your system to debian 2.2 (potato).  potato is currently frozen and in
testing for release.  So it should be safe for you to move up.  Just realize
that you will likely have to update most packages on your system.

If you compile something like 2.2.13 I think it can be done on slink.