Help: disk problems..

Help!!

I had a working system, and after several weeks up we were moving some (Apache) files around and wanted to make sure that the system setup for Apache was OK, se we re-booted.

At re-boot I now get:
|--------------
| .. checking root file system
| fsck.ext2: attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/hda1
|  Could this be a zero length partition?
|
| fsck failed. please repair manually and re-boot. Please note that the root file system is mounted Read-only,
|give root password for maintenance.
|---------------
Ok, I go root, and look around. everything seems OK, all files there.

fdisk shows partitions OK:
|------------------
|  boot   device         format              size       start  end
|   *       /dev/hda1   Extended        1580M       2     785
|                      hda2   DOS FAT-16      50M       2     27
|   *                  hda6   Linux ext2         1250M    28    662
|                       hda7   linux swap       250M      663   785
|-------------
a  v option to fdisk (check partition table) says:  8249 unallocated sectors

running fdisk from a rescue floppy on /dev/hda6 gives (immediately):
     e2fsck
     /dev/hda6: clean, 29621/641024 files, 542724/3560288 blocks.

It seems to report this Immediately, no time, no disk work.   (???)

I tried re-writing the boot block to the first partition (the one reported troublesome), /dev/hda1, seems to work fine.

Running DF shows some things that look like problems:
   filesystem   1024-blocks   used   avail    capacity   mount
     /dev/hda6   2476090   458526  1889550   20%  /
/proc " " " " /proc none " " " " /proc
-------------------

So, what to do? I would really hate to lose all the work put into this new system. I tried to do a tar backup over the network, but since the system never finished booting, it hasn't got networking up yet.

I can't figure out what happened, what's wrong, or what to do.

Thanks,
Gregory Guthrie
(please also reply by Email)

Gregory Guthrie