Re: gnus froze emacs20

"Kovacs Istvan" <kofa@alarmix.net> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I tried gnus, recommended by several people (thanks to all who
> responded!), and it froze my emacs20. Here's what I wrote to John
> Hasler, one of the people trying to help:
> ---
> I installed gnus (gnus_5.8.3-9.deb) on top of Emacs20. I launched
> emacs, started the tutorial, it seemed to be working.
> Then, I typed: M-x gnus
> It loaded backquote, loaded gnus, displayed 'Done', some kind of
> ascii-art logo in the Emacs window, the title-bar changed to
> 'emacs@eagle.accocomp.hu', and Emacs stopped working. The menus
> (Buffers, Tools and the like) stopped responding. I tried to close the
> window with the close button (under X), but it did not close. I had to
> switch to the terminal window and hit Ctrl-C.
> Started emacs again, and tried Tools->Read news and Read mail. Both
> loaded backquote and gnus, and both froze the same way as described
> above.
>
> To tell you the truth, I have not read any of the documentation yet,
> except for the first few pages of the tutorial, but this doesn't look
> much good. Are there any switches that could help me determine what's
> going on and why emacs freezes?

I have had this problem with Emacs 20.3.1 and Gnus 5.6.x on a SuSE 6.0
system. I have never found out why it froze..

If you have an empty .emacs/.gnus(.el), then it should get stuck (but not
freeze) when trying to contact your news-server (which is ""). After
pressing C-g things should go on.

I recommend that you either remove the package and use the Gnus
that comes with the emacs you have
OR
you get the latest Gnus and emacs. If the problem persists, send a problem
description to gnu.emacs.gnus.
You can also ask there for questions, but look at the manual first -
the manual is very good IMHO.

Emacs is not hard to build, but the debian packaged version may be
preconfigured very well.

Gnus 5.6.x is not very old. 5.8 was released around 12/1999, and is
officially still "beta". I would still recommend using the new version
because you won't have to change configuration-files and you don't have
to get used to a new release once 5.8 is officially stable.

--
Felix Natter