remote printing broken due to PAM?

After I installed Potato on my machine, I noticed that remote printing from the Windows boxes on my network was failing.  Looking into the problem, I noted entries like this in auth.log when I tried to print:

PAM_unix[535]: authentication failure; (uid=0) -> scmartin for samba service

I have never used PAM before, but it was necessary to install it this time, several other packages are dependent on it.  All I have loaded is libpam_modules, libpam_runtime and libpam0g.  Do I need to install libpam_smb, or is this a password authentication problem?  (That is, do I need to do something to the password database to correct this?)

Thanks,

Steve Martin
fairfax@pclink.com