Re: Changing keyboard from qwerty

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 02:04:20AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Reply on-list.
>
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 01:24:28AM -0800, wah wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > > Are you trying to set keymaps for the console or for X.  AFAIK, they're
> > > handled seperately.
> >
> > for the console, until I can get X figured out...
> >
> > > For console:  loadkeys <mapfile> (usually run as root).
> > >
> > > To get the German keys you are looking for, you will want to try either:
> > >
> > >     loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de.kmap.gz
> >
> > I did all that, but the non-english chars don't display, unless I use the
> > utility showkey, which does display the right keys.
> >
> > I even tryed setting the kbd_mode to Unicode, still nothing.
> > still confused as ever,
> > wah
>
> What shows if not the proper non-standard characters?
>
> You may want to also look into your console font settings and/or
> SVGATextMode.
>
>     man consolechars
>     man SVGATextMode
>
> The other thing I noticed when in console mode was that the
> international keys (umlauts, etc.) only appeared when I was in an
> editor.  Not sure if bash filters them out or what is going on.
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)
>     What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?
>
> SAS for Linux: http://www.netcom.com/~kmself/SAS/SAS4Linux.html

Try setting your LANG variable to something other than "C" (default if
none specified).  Put this in /etc/environment:
LANG=en_US     # for instance

This'll work automatically, but you still need to source it in .bashrc
for terminals.

Now if I could just figure out how to type extended characters at the
bash prompt (Alt-<key>) either does nothing or switches the prompt to
(arg: N) where N is some number.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |