PCI modems with Linux?

Hi,

I and my friend have a problem with Linux. In some documents we
read that PCI modems can not be used, because of the structure
of Linux. Searched some sources, we couldn't find any usable info
about this, so please help! Both my friend and I have 56k PCI
Rockewell compatible modems (no winmodems) without any Linux-
relate thing. I'd like to ask some kind of short tutorial about how to
install the needed software-pieces and what steps to follow for a
functional internet-connection.

Sorry, if this is a boring question. In this case, please anyone who
answer, do it to my own addres.

Thank you.

dedalus@freemail.c3.hu