Re: [*] about x

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 08:58:36AM -0800, aphro wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Kent West wrote:
>
> westk >As a general rule, if I want to temporarily de-activate
> westk >something like xdm, I just rename the link to "no.S99xdm"
> westk >instead of removing/recreating-later. Being relatively new
> westk >to Linux/Unix, is there anything "wrong" (bad habit,
> westk >non-standard, etc) with this practice?
>
> if it works i dont think its bad.  BUT by renaming the link the program
> would still run (unless theres something in init that doesnt run files
> that start with "no" i dont know)  renaming the script itself in
> /etc/init.d would work for sure though.
>
> thre have been posts saying to use the command update-rc.d
> (something) maybe update-rc.d remove xdm i forget (man update-rc.d ?) old
> habbits die very very hard for me though :>

I don't no if that'll mess up init or not (probably just ignores it).
But a safer alternative might be to rename it to KNN<whatever>. Then it
safely says to "stop" this service (and the init script will say "Hey
stupid, it's not running!" or something not so eloquent).
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |