Re: .gz in Netscape

Oleg Krivosheev wrote:

> > > Actually, it doesn't decompress it strangely enough. It just removes the
> > > .gz extension. I've always experienced this. Bizzare.
> > >
> > > --
> > I find this behavior rather odd, as my netscape 4.7 does not strip the .gz when I SHIFT-leftclick.  Are you sure its not something in your settings?
>
> well, that was/is my question: what should i set/unset to get
> .gz downloading properly. Any ideas?

I am wondering if it is not the *server* behavior to send it
uncompressed.  This happens to me too, but when I try one of the .tar.gz
files, it downloads compressed.  Seems unlikely that my Netscape is
taking it upon itself to treat these differently.  Notice that the
displayed icons are different for these also.

I know I've got Apache set up to automatically decompress .gz files so I
can browse HOWTO's, etc.  I wonder if the folks at ftp.debian.org got
smart with their server here also?  Probably just sending a different
header to Netscape.  Damn geeks!  ;-)

Only immediate solution I know of is to use a "dumb" FTP client like
lftp to download these.