Problem with X on Slink after apt-get update

Hi. I just changed my video card to an ATI Xpert 2000 8MB and used
apt-get update then apt-get dist-upgrade to fetch the XFree 3.3.6 for
Slink from http://www.debian.org/~vincent.

All downloaded and installed OK - except for error with xterm which was
left unconfigured
with message "unable to make /usr/share/man...."
This did not seem important (?bad error on my part) so I went ahead with
XF86Setup, and choose ATI Rage 128 card, which gave me SVGA server (is
that right? On my previous
ATI card it was Mach 64). I looked at the chip on the actual card and it
said Rage 128. Right choice??

Got a working X server - but no text in menus etc. for any Window
Manager (tried fvwm2, icewm etc), just black lines of different widths.
Same with xterms. Seems xfonts are not there somehow.
Is this a problem with the packages I fetched or some config problem -
maybe something
stupid I've done?
The rest of my system is default Slink (from r2 CD's) - nothing else
updated/changed.

Any help and suggestions much appreciated.