PPP kernel support?

How do you put PPP support into the 2.2.0 kernel?  I get the following
message when I try to run pon:

/usr/sbin/pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP.  This could be
because
the PPP kernel module is not loaded, or because the kernel is
not configured for PPP.  See the README.linux file in the
ppp-2.3.5 distribution.

I selected networking support, TCP/IP, etc. when I built it.

a dmesg | grep "PPP" returns:

debian:~# dmesg | grep "PPP"
PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
PPP line discipline registered.

The above readme doesn't make sense because it sounds inconsistent with
the Debian kernel building instructions.  The kernel works well except I
can't dial out.

Thanks for any input,
Steve