Re: Potato broken...?

joker@egmont-kol.dk (Sven Esbjerg) wrote:
>I run dselect do get what I need but something breaks on the way and I don't
>get bin86 and other importent things. I rerun dselect and get the missing
>stuff (I thought). Somehow Perl seemes to break a lot of dependencies and I
>end up with a half installed Gnome and missing X-libs...
>I fix most of it and compile a new kernel with support for SMP and get X
>running. I create my default useraccount and get my home-dir via nfs only to
>find out that my fonts are twisted, xscreensaver cannot be installed without
>deinstalling half of the Gnome-stuff. I believe it's Perl thats busting it up
>again but I'm not sure.
>
>So my conclusion from this experience: Unless the chosen ones (developers)
>work really hard on potato it's not going to be out as stable soon. To be
>honest: This was my worst experience with Debian and it seems like it's not
>over because I'll have to compile a lot of packeges on my own to fix the
>dependencies...

Don't judge potato on the current mess, please. A couple of simultaneous
problems (libc6-bin, xscreensaver, etc.) have left the archive in a
highly inconsistent state, but I'm quite sure that that'll be fixed
soon. If you look for the relevant threads on debian-devel, you'll see
that the changes required to fix this are really very minor, but the
fact that the release manager is away for a few days has slowed things
down. To be fair, now was an extremely bad time to pick to install
potato. :)

Give it a few days, maybe a week, and reinstall (or perhaps just rerun
dselect if you feel confident that you can put things back together);
most of this mess should be sorted out by then.

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]