Re: TV Cards....

At 07:33 AM 2/2/00 -0800, aphro wrote:
>i use a hauppauge wintv/pci
>
>and it works great, just make sure to avoid the video4linux drivers in the
>kernel if possible they are outdated, go to the bttv homepage if your
>using a bttv-compadible card.(i dont have the link, go to
>yahoo.aphroland.org and search for bttv)
>
>i use kwintv to...used to use xawtv, till i got kwintv to work

I don't understand that remark. I use a Pinnacle/Miro PCTV Pro, a Slink
system and the 2.2.13 kernel. The build in BTTV driver works fine, gives me
stereo sound and a clear picture. As if drivers in the kernel are old,
obsolete and non-functioning. I don't agree, especially since my SB64AWE
also uses the driver build in the kernel (OSS version) with great success.
If it works a 100% what is the point of using the latest and greatest?

Things to watch:

1) build everything as module,
2) once running don't switch from X to console mode while watching a TV
picture as this will lock the system (for me at least).

Same remark for xawtv. I tried the newer 3.x version and couldn't get it
running at all. Switched to a 2.x version (2.48 if I recall correctly) and
had it running within 15 minutes.

Other things to watch:

- radio on the Pinnacle/Miro PCTV Pro is not supported yet from what I can
tell,
- neither is ir, but this means some extra exercise for us computer crazy
hackers.

Last thing: when credits are flying over the screen it appears as a smear.
I suspect the video card can't keep up with the inlay mode. As I only have
an old S3DX/Virge with 4 MB video RAM I wonder if upgrading to a faster
video card will help. Anyone?

Good luck and happy watching. -- Hans