Re: hardware problems

On 2000-02-02 12:57:02, aphro wrote:

> it would be helpful to know if the machine has ever been running good
> under another distro/OS or if its a 'new' machine..

Old machine that used to work flawlessly with both Linux and that
other OS.  However something went wrong (I suspect heat) and it
started to crash.  I figured it was the motherboard, so I purchased a
better ventilated tower and was given a cheap motherboard (EPoX
EP-MCP3C).

I could not get the serial ports to work and it also crashed
occationally (after 24 to 48 hours of being on). So, I got it replaced
with another EP-MCP3C which shows the same problem(s).

> install lm_sensors on the machine for some additional info about the
> mainboard like voltage and temp and stuff.

Ok.

> it may also be worth a shot to install another OS on it to see if it does
> the same..could try one of the floppy based linux distros that installs
> into memory or the QNX demo (www.qnx.com) which also loads into memory.

Windows behaved the same with the first EPoX motherboard that I had.

> also it may be worth trying to crash it by increasing the cpu and i/o load
> by loading multiple copies of seti@home 1 copy for every 10-15MB of ram
> you have.

Tried memtest on my 128 MB of memory and that worked fine.

> make the machine work it's ass off for a while and see if it holds
> up for the 24 hours, or if it crashes real quick.  i can usually get
> about 15 million disk writes out in a 2-3 day period with a good
> amount of seti going. it stresses the IDE bus to the limits(and past
> some, ive had machines reset the ide bus a few times during that)

Interesting...

/Allan
--
Allan M. Wind			Email: wind@freewwweb.com
P.O. Box 2022			Phone: 781.279.4513 (home)