Install problem SMC etherpower II network card

I have tried to install debian several times and every time it fails,
because I can't get connected to the network.
I don't have this problem with any other distribution I have tried (redhat,
mandrake, slackware).
The epic100 driver seems to detect my card properly - a least ifconfig shows
the ID correctly.
I'm to connect to a LAN network. On start-up I get a message like:

device temporarily unavailable
network unreachable

I'm sure the IP-numbers I gave are correct. Does anyone have an idea what
I'm doing wrong?

Jasper