Re: How to set 'e2fsck' to run at boot?

Mihaly Gyulai wrote:
> Q. How can I set 'e2fsck' to run, whenever I want ?

Umount the filesystem you want to check and run e2fsck. If you cannot
umount the filesystem because some important program uses it change to
runlevel 1:

# init 1

After that you should be able to umount the filesystem, don't be afraid
to umount the root-filesystem, you *won't crash* your system as an
"umount /" puts the root-filesystem into read-only mode. You can check
that if you do a "cat /proc/mounts".

It is _save_ to repair the filesystem when it is mounted read-only.

When you did the checks be carefull to remount the root partition:

# mount -o remount,rw /

Then change the runlevel again:

# init 2

If you follow this procedure you don't have to reboot _at_all_!

Hope it helps...

- Konrad Mierendorff