Re: How to set 'e2fsck' to run at boot?

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Mihaly Gyulai wrote:

 : On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:40:56    Nico De Ranter wrote:
 :
 : >> At boot, there is a message about 'running e2fsck is recommended'
 : >> because the mounting of partitions happened too many times.
 : >> How can I set to run 'e2fsck' after a given number of days ?
 :
 : >Normaly the filesystem will automaticaly be checked after a number
 : >of mounts. You shouldn't do anything yourself.  You'll notice
 : >when he starts checking the filesystem, it will take ages to boot :-)
 :
 : The problem is: I did not notice the expected 'e2fsck' running,
 : however it should run (since 3 months). And there is the warning
 : message that fsck is needed.
 :
 : Q. How can I set 'e2fsck' to run, whenever I want ?
 :
 : (I know that one should not run fsck on a mounted partition,
 : so it's not that easy to run it...)

You can always force fsck on reboot by using "-F" as an argument to
`shutdown' e.g

  shutdown -F -r now # reboot and force fsck on all filesystems with
                     # flag "auto" in /etc/fstab ("defaults" implies
                     # "auto").

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD