Re: How to set 'e2fsck' to run at boot?

On Fri, 07 Jan 2000, Mihaly Gyulai wrote:
> Q. How can I set 'e2fsck' to run, whenever I want ?

umount the partition, and fsck it. If it's your root partition, or /var
(which has this nagging tendency to not be unmountable due to being busy)
then the safest way I know requires a reboot, and requires that your "fsck
on boot" works (which right now it doesn't, according to you).

You _could_ try running fsck in a read-only partition, in check-only mode
(no repair). But that won't help much, I think.

You could always get one of those linux-in-one-floppy distros, boot from it,
and use its fsck. Do be careful, ext2 from kernels 2.0.x may not handle ext2
partitions created under 2.2.x... and most linux-in-one-floppy use 2.0.3x
kernels.

  Henrique Holschuh