Re: Partion sizes - recommendations pls

Quoting marcus@wordit.com (marcus@wordit.com):

> Any suggestions on how large to create my partitions based on the
> following usage:
>
> Apache *only local* for designing my database and HTML (not sure which
> mods), PHP, Mysql...
>
> GUI heavweights : X, KDE or Gnome, Star Office or Word Perfect,
> Netscape...
>
> I presume /user will have to be as large as I can make it.
>
> I'm concerned about root.
> On my first test installation under Red Hat 6 months ago I only had X,
> KDE and Netscape and whatever Red Hat insatlls by default with the
> following partitions: / 100MB, /home 100 MB,/user 250,swap 50MB.
>
> /root was already 80% full and too small at 100MB. how large would you
> recommend?

Swap 32--64 MB.
/    the rest of the disk.

If it's a serious installation (i.e. you're a linux user with a rather
old 504MB disk rather than a Windog user with a small linux installation
to play with), then I'd buy/beg another disk.

But I don't think people can specifiy partition sizes for you, as it
just depends on what you run, how much you keep and where, what sort
of removables you have etc. etc.

Cheers,