Installing Slink (continued)

Is there a place to submit narratives of difficulties with login etc.?  I
Maybe I (or someone) could write up a clarification or a blow-by-blow
explanation for this kind of stuff, which must seem terribly obvious to y'all.
 Or perhaps there already is a blow-by-blow that I should be reading?  For me,
ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/ch-init-config.html#s7.12
doesn't do the trick.

Anyway, I'm still grappling with this beast.

The narrative follows:

I'm at Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu.  I played around with
"Configure Device Driver Modules" for a while, but evidently I used up my good
credit there, because now that I'm actually ready to configure dsome device
driver modules, the installation program won't let me.  I select that choice,
but after a momentary blue screen, I find myself right back at the same menu.

So from that menu, I choose "Next: Configure the Network" instead.  So I go
with the flow.  Base System installation proceeds swimmingly; I finish
choosing my time zone; the system reboots.  I forget to remove the
installation CD, and wind up back at the installation prompt.  Not knowing any
other way to bail out, I do a hard reset.

This time around, BootMagic loads.  (I'm using BootMagic.)  It says,
"Preparing machine to load Linux."  And there she dies.  I reboot and get the
same result.

I put the installation CD back into the drive, reboot again, and go back
through the installation process.  It seems that some fragments must have
previously gotten installed here and there, and now the machine is choking on
them.  This time, it dies at "Shall I remove the pcmcia packages?" when I say
"yes."  Evidently I'll have to go back into Win98, fire up Partition Manager,
reformat these partitions, and attempt once again to do a clean install?

Argh, matey.  Argh.