Quake No longer running for users

Well, I did the funny thing today, I started upgrading my machine to
slink, after a few glitches (i.e. exmim returning 40-50 messages saying
that it wouldn't accept mail for @localhost) I seem to have everything
going smoothly (fingers crossed, haven't yet tried the network settings,
I'm moving soon and have the other machine packed already).

Well to cut a long story short, I got the basic problems fixed, but now
for some reason Quake (thats Quake 1) refuses to run as a user.  I've
checked all the settings I changed last time to get it to work but the
update kept them intact.  The exact error message I get is :-

svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.

Now, what has changed with the permissions on I/O between Hamm and slink
that would account for this problem, and how can I "fix" it so I can run
Quake again?  Oh, before I forget I am running S-Quake, not X-Quake (for
those who can't figure it out), and I don't really have the resources to
run X-Quake properly, I use quake to do something while my machine is
downloading lots of megabytes of the internet/compiling a kernel whatever,
and I would rather _NOT_ run it as root.

Thanx in advance,
	Peter Ludwig

BTW - If anyone responded to my earlier message about proxying and such
forth, could you email me your response direct, as I said I lost a few
emails this morning <grin>.