Re: Kernel upgrades = security upgrades - a possible solution?

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 05:24:54PM +0300, Martin Fluch wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
>
> > I guess this kind of kernel packages would be for people quite concerned
> > about security but also quite lazy :)
>
> I guess, this is mutual exclusive. People which are lazy will leave many
> (and I think also bigger) security holes some where else on the system, so
> that it won't matter, if you keep your kernel that much secure...

well, yes you are right.
:)
I guess i didn't really think of it before writing :(

> > Also if you administer a lot of boxes, and if they work ok with the default
> > kernel you will find it _a lot_ more convenient to automatically upgrade
> > kernel than to compile it for each box...
>
> Ever considerd the package 'kernel-package'. This makes out of any kernel
> source debian packages, which then can be installed with dpkg, apt-get or
> what ever ...

sure, since i had discovered it, i've never made a kernel without using it.
But still you have to make the kernel, and if you compile it, you can't
resist tweaking it to each particular system's needs, can you? :)

Marcin

--

Marcin Owsiany