Re: wierd 'su' error message

Quoting Seth R Arnold (sarnold@willamette.edu):
> Hey guys -- I just did a 'su' on my computer to get to root from user, and I
> got this following error message:
>
> $ su
> Password:
> shell-init: could not get current directory:
> [0306]:841729ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß: No such file or directory
>
> Those betas there continue for 39 lines. I trimmed it a bit.
>
> Now, I am pretty sure that the user account was sitting a directory that got
> deleted, but .. this is wierd. :)

Presumably the first error message is because it can't find the directory
it thinks it ought to be in, but what's in .bashrc for root, which should
be what's executed next.

The one place I've seen wadges of betas is in .bash_history. I don't
know what puts them in there (or perhaps into the history buffer itself),
but they normally have a command at the end of the line of betas.

Cheers,