font problem - missing charsets

sorry I sent the previous message by mistake before it was finished:

I started getting this message from most programs recently:

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

Most of them will start despite the message, except for xemacs21 (the I
found up to now) which segfaults after it. (It started befor)
It gives a fatal error message (in eddition to the previos warning):

Fatal error (11).

I am using kde 1.1.1 and xfs and xfstt.
I made some changes to the fonts in one of the directorys, but changed
them back. It didn't help.
I also tried to chage the fonts under kde, and to change the options of
making non kde aps use kde's fonts and background.
I also tried to start enlightenment, but I got the same errors there.
Xemacs starts fine under a regular terminal.

Please help.
michf@math.tau.ac.il