Re: FDISK parameters was Re: undelete for partition tables?

Tom Pfeifer wrote:

> Ed Cogburn wrote:
>
> > > In the future, I would recommend saving the output of either...
> > >
> > > 1) Linux fdisk ==>> fdisk -l > part.txt    (this does all drives)
> > > 2) Ranish PM   ==>> part -d 1 -p -r > part.txt  (for each drive)
> >
> >         Tom, or somebody, what version of fdisk do you have?  My copy
> > (v2.9w on a full potato system) doesn't support the -l and -u
> > options as they are described in the man page on my sys (and given
> > by Tom's example above).  The -l option still requires the user to
> > give an explicit device to operate on, and AFAICT the -u option
> > doesn't work at all with the fdisk I have.
> >
> >         P.S., Ranish PM is only DOS right (ie, no Linux version)?
> > --
>
> I'm running slink right now which has fdisk v2.9g. I also have potato
> installed elsewhere, and 'fdisk -l' also works there as far as I know.
> By the way, that is a small L, not a one.
>
> 'fdisk -l' lists all partitions on all drives using cylinder values
> 'fdisk -l -u' lists all partitions on all drives using sector values
> 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' would list all partitions, but just on /dev/hda
>
> Ranish Partition Manager is a DOS program, but is an excellent
> partitioning tool. It's source code is available for download from the
> web site. At one the time the author was planning on porting it over to
> Linux....hasn't gotten to it yet.
>
> Tom

	I just tried (as root) the three fdisk examples (-l is lowercase
L) given above.  Only the last one worked: "fdisk -l /dev/hda".
The -u does nothing at all.  Does anybody else see this behavior,
or has my fdisk been lobotomized somehow?

--
Ed C.