Kernels 2.2.6 & above hangs my machine

Hi All,

    I have been running a 2.2.5 kernel on my machine and recently wanted to upgrade the kernel. However, kernels 2.2.6 and above boot my machin. But the machine hangs while processing init.d scripts. It hangs at differnet points in init.d scripts. So I am not able to find out where it exactly hangs. Does any one have any idea to find out why?

BTW, I am running potato with some slink packages on a dual celeron 300 Mhz overclocked to 450 Mhz with 196 MB of ram and matrox G200 video card.

Regards,
Vaidhy