Quake3 and Diamond Viper V770 - TNT2

Hello All,

	I know people out there have gotten this to work, so I am hoping
someone can help me out with this...

	I just bought a Viper V770. I got the modified XServer from
nvidia, I downloaded the statically linked tarball with libGL.so.1.0 in
it, I followed their install instructions, I configured X for
800x600x16bpp.  I started linuxquake3, and everything appeared to be
working...then I saw a screen full of random colored lines which ran
horizontally across the screen.  I can hear the standard quake menu
"thump" sounds when I move the arrows up and down, so I know that the game
has started, but all I see is garbage.  I am running Slink with Branden's
3.3.4 debs installed.  I tried dropping back to 15bpp and also running in
1024x768 with no luck.  Any ideas/suggestions?  I feel like the only
person on earth who can't get it to run :(

Thanks,

Steve