RE: Why can't I run my program (how do i set ./ on the path permanently)

For security reasons, please don't do this on your root account.  Users can
add another ls or commonly used program to their own directory.  This
program doesn't have the ability to perform some insidious task when run by
a user.  When root changes into their directory and innocently types ls,
their local special ls runs with root privledges.  Be careful !