Quick mounting question

Over the past few days, I've been slowly getting my Debian system
set up, and I have a quick question about mounting.  On hdc, I had
128 MB of unpartitioned space, so I decided to make it another
Linux partition and decide what to do with it later.  It was the only
Linux partition on hdc, so after installation, I decided to mount it as
/lib, just so the disk wouldn't be totally idle.  I mounted it as a
temporary directory, copied all the files from /lib over to it, and then
set it to mount as /lib in fstab.  Now, my questions:

1.  Are the original files from the /lib directory on hda1 (my /) still
there, but just invisible because another filesystem is mounted as
/lib, or are they gone?  I didn't think it would be a very good idea to
delete them before mounting the new /lib, because I worried that
stuff wouldn't work very well without access to the lib files.

2.  In the future, if I decide to use my 128 MB partition on hdc for
something else, how should I go about that?  Will everything break if
I unmount /lib?

3.  When installing Debian packages, I often see "Warning:
/lib/somethingorother.2 is not a symlink".  Is this because /lib is
mounted on a different filesystem?  Are there any consequences of
this warning, or is it harmless?

4.  Was mounting /lib on a different filesystem a completely dumb
idea to begin with?  What's something else I could put on my 128MB
filesystem?

Thanks for any help.  I'm going to boot back into Debian & wrestle
with X more & try to figure out why pine isn't working.  Good day.