Re: how to reset the console?

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 09:06:38PM +0800, ivan@vianet.net.au wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 02:48:00PM +0200, Ookhoi wrote:
> >
> > Cool. :-)
> > So now we have:
> >
> > reset
> > stty sane
> > <ctrl>-v <esc> c
> >
> > to restore a messed up text interface.
> >
> > 		Groetjes, Ookhoi
> >

> don't forget setfont - maybe we can start a collection :)
>
> But the original question referred to an svgalib messed up console which is
> quite a bit different.
>
> Ivan.

In particular, it's different in that none of those did me any good
:(.

svgalib comes with a couple of utils called "textmode" and
"savetextmode" that are supposed to help in exactly my situation
... but the man page says:

       You  do this by being a smart guy and running savetextmode
       right after booting of your machine, prior  to  any  prob
       lems.

Unluckily for me, I'm not a smart guy.  these are both scripts for a
couple of restoration utils that take a previous config from a file
and reinstate it -- but I have made no such file.  My question at this
point:  is there such a file on my system?  could I create one?  Or
should I just break down and reboot again?

If it helps, running textmode at this point changes the multicolored
static pattern blinking on my textmode screens to a red static pattern
blinking on my screen.

Thanks again for the help.  Please Cc: to me at
robm@mad.scientist.com.

Rob

--
It's computer hardware, of course it's worth having <g>
	-- Espy on #Debian