Question about mounting MS-DOS partition

(I'm new to this mailing list, so if I am sending this message to the
wrong place, please accept my apologies.)

I have installed Debian 2.0 alongisde Windows 95 by splitting the Windows
partition, and it was relatively headache free (phew!). I didn't leave as
much room on the Linux partition as I would like to have, because there
was some file at the end of the MS-DOS parition that defragging didn't
move. This didn't concern me, because I figured I could just mount the
MS-DOS partition and use it for extra space. But my roommate, who assisted
me with the installation, said that it's not a good idea to
store and run Linux programs on the MS-DOS partition. Is this true, and if
so, why?

Oh, and might anyone know what the file is at the end of my MS-DOS
partition? I don't run any sort of disk compression program.

- Thanks, Bill