Re: New Install

At 08:38 PM 3/8/99 -0600, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
>Well...it's basicly asking you where in the system CDrom is.
>Like, primary IDE master drive is /dev/hda
>Primary slave is /dev/hdb
>Secondary master is /dev/hdc
>Secondary slave is /dev/hdd
>Just figure out which one is yours, and enter it there.
>Andrew

<snip>

Just a question ...

I already have installed Debian/GNU Linux many times and each time the same
question occurs to me ... why is it that the CD-ROM device name cannot be
auto-detected in Linux as it is in Windows (and maybe then automounted if
it contains a disk) ?

Sorry for the Q. this has bugged me for a long time and this seems an
appropriate thread to add to.

Ivan