Re: laptop install help

>I've got a Megahertz PCMCIA 14.4 fax/modem card that was recognized as com2
>by the win311 software that came with the laptop. There were no cua?
>devices in /dev so I made cua0 and cua1 using the MAKEDEV script, made a
>/dev/modem symlink from cua1, but the "pon" command still dies on me.

You may need to add the inittab entries for a serial device. Not sure as
far as that goes.

>I copied minicom off another machine and tried it, and haven't gotten it to
>recognize the modem, so I figure there must be something else to it - do I
>also have to install some PCMCIA software, maybe a module?

PCMCIA comes in the form of a module. It's generally best to get the source
package and use that to recompile and install them whenever you recomile a
kernel. The easiest way to get it set up to begin with is to use the hamm
install disks and install the pcmcia modules as you install debian.
Otherwise, you'll need to put them on a floppy and copy them over and
install them. They're in teh pcmcia-cs package.

--Asher Haig
ahaig@warped-reality.com