Lilo woes

Thanks to everyone who gave opinions and advice on the HTML editor. I can't
stand 'vi' (the DOS to Linux HOWTO is right when it says that DOS users
probably won't like vi! Is there a good tutorial? the man page assumes you
know it well), so when I get everything working again (see below) I think I
will have a look at  Netscape Composer. =)

Just reinstalled Debian, and everything worked fine until I configured lilo,
which decided that it didn't like the idea of not installing an MBR, so it
went ahead and did it anyway.
I *used to* dual boot WinNT and Debian 1.3.1 (not R6), and if there's any
possibility of restoring the Master Boot Record then I would like to persue
it.

Partitioning is as follows

Hda1 = extended partition, can't get to it

Hda2 = 4MB partition with the NT bootloader and all it needs to boot up
Linux and NT

Hda3 = 100MB Linux Swap

Hda4 = about 300Mb (very happy I have this one!) All my important documents,
etc. FAT format

Hda5 = about 1.5gig: NT (NTFS format -- is the alpha driver usable/reliable
yet? Last time I heard it actually ignores Security information!! MS reckons
NTFS is impregnable!) This is where all the NT resides

Hda6 = Linux root

The only problem is that Linux is in the MBR, so it _seems_ unnecessary to
reinstall NT just for this. Is there a way of getting to the MBR? Is it easy
to change?

So my questions are as follows:

1. Where can I find a good tutorial for vi?
2. Can anyone suggest how I could restore NT as the default boot?
3. Failing 2, is there a way of booting NT from lilo or loadlin, or
something along these lines?
4. a)Can I get to the MBR, and how?
    b) If so, is it easy to edit?

Thanks for help on any of these issues,

Tristan

|******************************************************** |
| "You're Not Our Brightest Year" - Mr Boon,           |
| Headteacher of my school:                                      |
| -St Bede's, Cambridge                                            |

|  "Tristan you're so annoying!!                                  |
|  I'm sorry, you're not really,  you're very sweet"      |
|  -Mrs Myers, Maths Teacher                                    |

Email: Greensideburns@csi.com
Home page:
 Http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/greensideburns
(completely useless and miserably neglected during preparation
 for GCSE exams) In the summer I'll have a _real_ project to get on with:
www.greensideburns.co.uk !!! Anyone know where I can get this dom name
cheaper than $70?