chmod not working

i was messing with some permission to directory but i think i found a bug
in chmod,i try to run "chmod 751" on my home directory (i put the content
of the home directory on another partition because of lack of space on my
root partition),but the permission is still drwxr-x--x,i even tried to run
"chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=x" on it to no avail,does all this qualify as a bug
???

p.s.the problem is just an annoyance as i can still access my home dir and
run program from there.

thanks.
Alain