How to find fastest mirror.

I want to know which site to mirror debian from and want to choose the
fastest naturally.  I have pinged different sites to find which has the
fastest return times.  But this method may not be the best, because some
sites may slow down significantly when the load is increased.  Is there
any better way of testing this other than actually downloading a file and
manually timing it?  Or is there an automated way of doing the above?

Thanks,

Mark.