Re: How to test RAM?

Hi, Ed!

Just want to share my experience with memtest86.  I had a bad memory module,
as I found out later.  There are 2 ways of memtest running: as a boot process
and from inside Linux.  Installation of memtest86 as an independent boot
process (you can have memtest in your LILO - Linux, Dos and MemTest for
example) DID NOT catch the bad memory module - it reported that everyting was
fine.  On the other hand running memtest from Linux (then you have to guess
your free memory right and give it as an argument) indeed reported the
problem.  So I would recommend running memtest in both modes to catch the bad
memory module.

Well, in my case I started to beleive that memory was OK only when X stopped
to crash spontaneously on me :)

Sasha.