Re: fetchmail + procmail setup

On 14 Dec, Richard L. Alhama wrote:

> But when I choosed smail as my MTA, my used to be working ~/.procmailrc
> could not sort mail anymore.

oh. well I have a very similar setup to dave. my .forward and
.procmailrc files seem to be virtually identical (technically).

my fetchmail is done slightly differently though (I'm running it from a
cron job instead - I know, daft, but I can't be bothered to fix it).

> what should ~/.forward contain?

here's my .forward;

humbug% cat .forward
"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f || exit 75 #ashtong"
humbug% ll .forward
-rw-rw-r--   1 ashtong  ashtong        60 Dec  8 10:39 .forward

> the permissions on /var/spool/mail?

humbug% ll /var/spool/mail -d
drwxrwsr-x   2 root     mail         1024 Dec 13 13:37 /var/spool/mail/
humbug% ll /var/spool/mail
total 24
-rw-rw----   1 ashtong  mail        23017 Dec 13 17:28 ashtong

they may not be right, but they work for me, and are debian's defaults.
I'm also using smail, and I just copied the .forward from my old red hat
system that was using sendmail. everything works as expected.

I've got vanilla hamm. hope that helps you a bit.

--
Graham