Very serious smail problem!
First of all, let me please inform you that due to the nature of this
problem, you'll have to e-mail cc's of any answers to me directly :-/// on
firstname.lastname@example.org. Sorry for the inconvenience.
On with the query. I am running debian hamm, and all went fine for abouta month. Then, of a sudden (I know, it's not a good explanation :D), external e-mail service was interrupted. I am connected to the internet through my university's connection, and I had sendmail configured as part of inetd.
So, I set up to find out what was wrong with it. It seemed that
/etc/inetd.conf had entries for smtp (usual stuff, with the in.smtpd link),
/etc/services had port 25 defined as it should be. So, I set up to telnet to
localhost smtp. Fine, I got the message and I could initiate negotiations with
the smail program. Local mail gets delivered OK.
I sent an e-mail to one of my other accounts, and mail got there withouta flaw. I tried sending some e-mail from that account to the orignal one, and it never came through. So I tried telnetting to port 25 from that remote machine, and... surprise surprise, the telnet just timed out.
Having a look through the logs of my machine, I found a number of queries lying around in /var/log/syslog. Many of them were from machines that I know well, and had an in.smtpd entries. So it seems inetd is working fine detecting
these requests, but the mail doesn't get anywhere. Certainly not to my
rightful mbox :)))
If anyou could possible help, please, answer me on email@example.com.