NIS

Hey again.

Is anyone using NIS with hamm? I'm trying to set it to work against a
Solaris NIS server and it doesn't work. I've got everything up to the
point that "ypcat passwd" indeed cats all the passwd file from the NIS
server (with the passwords replaced with "##username"). My /etc/passwd
has a +:::::: entry in the end, and /etc/group - the +:::
entry. /etc/nsswitch.conf says "compat" for passwd, group, and
shadow. And yet, when I try to log in using one of the usernames from
the NIS server, it won't let me. Has anyone stumbled upon anything
like this?

I suspect it has something to do with the way shadow passwords work in
Solaris and in Linux. However, on an adjacent Slackware box it works
flawlessly. What can be the problem?

I tried to upgrade to the latest nis distribution from slink (and it
took the libc along with it) but it did not help.

I'm totally out of ideas. :-(

--
Alex Shnitman
shnitman@mail.jct.ac.il, alexsh@linux.org.il